Sunday, February 19, 2006

HOW I EVER BECAME THE REVEREND NORB FOR CRAP ROCK, I'LL NEVER KNOW... I had read Eva Salens' blog (A.K.A. Inca Ore) before hearing any of her music. Her site was crammed with narcotic fueled ramblings concerning living on a pot farm, wearing ill fitting clothing and tap dancing for Jackie O-Motherfather. As you can imagine, I was highly intrigued. I heard that a CDR of her actual sounds was available on the Jyrk imprint, but I never got around to picking it up. . . What can I say? I'm a sloth. So you better believe I was stoked when I found out the Weird Forest label had re-issued the thing on vinyl in a stunning silk-screened cover. Almost makes it worth being a slow moving slug like me. All you get here is Eva's voice layered and stretched and phased into a weightless heaven where snowmen melt slowly and surely. Sometimes I wish this is what it sounded like when I hummed to myself. Sometimes I wish I could broadcast this through a crappy p.a. system in a church basement. And then sometimes I wish I had a REALLY GOOD sandwhich. Unfortunatly, wishes sometimes never come true. Maybe if you pick this album up, you'll imagine a wish came true and you'll be happy for a second. Who knows...


I recall having a phone conversation with John Olson back in the early 00’s where he told me the original guitarist for Universal Indians had serious ‘Neil Young damage’. Some of those U.I. rock jams had some serious slo-mo action going on, but I never really understood what he was on about until I scored this newly released LP of old U.I recordings entitled 'Monster Approach' on the Killer Tree label. The first jam, ‘Place In The Sun’, is a full-on, jacked up rocker, but from there the record rides into a totally nuclear sunset. Ever have a dream about a Zuma Beach tidal wave hitting Detroit to clean Pappy Brannon’s soul clean? If so, you need this disc. You poor, poor soul...


Word from a bird tells me Philadelphia’s Violent Students has just released their CD on the estimable Parts Unknown label outta the Jersey Shore. I’ve had a copy of this thing for awhile now and I gotta tell you it’s the most heinous thing you could buy this year, thus far. No one else has the nerve to turn the riff from ‘Seekers Of The Truth’ into a fifteen minute throb rock opus like these guys do. All the heartless insanity you expect from your pastey noise icons is right here, no doubt about it. Pick it up now before some jerk ass on some other website tells you how he ‘discovered’ them. Those kinda people…they’re not good people. Linkage to the Parts Unknown label below…


In the ‘get now while the getting’s good’ department…Be sure to trek over to the Midheaven site to score yourself a re-issue of Gauze’s classic debut LP from 1984, lovingly entitled ‘Fuckheads’. This record is the Japanese equivalent to ‘Damaged’ or ‘Tied Down’ in sheer, vicious invention. You need it. I tell ya… the more I write this crap, the more I feel like Mike Tyson. Christ...


I know this disc is old news to most people who wear velvet on a daily basis, but the Akarma label has just done up a hockey puck thick vinyl re-issue of the Brit Prog Rock classic ‘It’ll All Work Out In Boomtown’ by T2. Although this disc fills all the tills as far as being overblown and highly theatric, it kinda bowled me over at how musically ambitious it was. Tons of brass makes the tracks abit more lively than the usual Dungeons and Dragons affair and the trios’ willingness to let loose abit (Check the side lone track ‘Morning’) makes me think these guys wouldn’t of suckled at Greg Lake’s twelve string if he ordered them to. That’s cool. The guitarist for T2, Keith Cross, put out an excellent album a few years after this with a dude named Peter Ross. It’s entitled ‘Bored Civilians’ and it’s on Decca. If you ever find a copy, you should send it to me…got it?


Oh yeah, for those who care, 200LBU#5 is now available. It contains too many reviews and a history lesson on Finish Kiddie Core legends, The Demars. E-mail me at trettman@hotmail.com and we’ll go from there.



If you actually care about any of this stuff, get with these people and they’ll help you out--
http://www.fusetronsound.com/
http://www.partsunknownrecords.com/
http://www.midheaven.com/
http://www.forcedexposure.com/
Next time around will I dare and try to write about this Vex’D double CD? Or Cher’s ‘3614 Jackson Highway’ or the latest Jakob Olausson LP on DeStijl? Will I go on for virtual pages about Evie Sands? While you ponder these and many other questions, check out my newest hero -- http://www.dylanmoranrules.com/
Until Then…

4 comments:

brian eff said...

that uniind lp is killer. i am currently trying to trade all of their later "tinkle tinkle tape delay" works to a the last pocket of wolf eyes fans in columbia, missouri for enough weed to trade for a house. because all i need is this lp.

$20 GAUZE REISSUES ARE NOT COOL. i could send $3 to some crusty fux on the internet and they'll send me a cdr of EVERYTHING GAUZE EVER DID. eventually. probably.

dude, what's the proper term for someone who's gay for irish people? shamrock queen? because you are!

brian eff said...

these are the fux:

http://www.crustpunks.com/

i only mailorder from people who put "music" below studs, spikes, bullet belts, punk patches, buttons, shirts, jackets, miscellaneous, etc, but above "videos." PRIORITIES.

200lbu said...

Brian--
Please give me a list of the other micks I am gooey in the salamander for? Inquiring minds wanna know!

TR

P.S.--Thanx for the crust punk connection. My bullet belt is outta notches.

DJ Rick said...

Thanks for recognizing Inca Ore. I think Eva's music is always powerful and beautiful.